Support for a Guelph Museum continued to be a goal of the members of CFUW Guelph from its founding in 1945.
- By the 1970s, the Friends of the Museum was supported by members of CFUW Guelph who worked hands on, sweeping out water and snow in the market building where the first museum was housed.
- For 19 years CFUW Guelph supported the museum in every way, including taking over administrative duties for a period between directors and running the museum shop in the new building on Waterloo Avenue in the early 1980s.
- In 2011 CFUW Guelph contributed to the Capital Campaign to build a new civic museum on the site of the Loretto Convent.
When the Guelph Civic Museum opened, CFUW Guelph was included as one of the invited guests who supported the capital campaign. CFUW Guelph’s contribution to the Guelph Museum Building Fund was presented to Ken Irvine, Program Coordinator of Guelph Museums at our October General Meeting 2011.
The following one hundred word description of CFUW Guelph is included in the booklet that accompanies the Museum’s recognition sculpture: CFUW Guelph: Working Together on Social, Educational and Advocacy Activities.
CFUW Guelph was founded in 1945 as part of The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW), a national, non-governmental, non-partisan, self-funded organization committed to the
- pursuit of knowledge
- promotion of education
- improvement of the status of women and girls and human rights
- participation in public affairs.
One of CFUW Guelph’s three initial goals was “to urge action toward establishing a museum in Guelph”. Current mandates include advocacy, civic responsibility and the support of education through annual scholarships.
“The Right to Speak. The Responsibility to Act.”